Bombardier enlarges its R&D team in Katowice

Bombardier Transportation (ZWUS) Poland, Katowice-headquartered company being part of the Bombardier corporation, is going to hire several dozen new engineers. They will work on railroad automation systems in the research and development site.

According to the Polish Press Agency (PAP), the company hires 140 engineers in Katowice at the moment. “We want to increase the number to 170 by the end of this year. It is a quite challenge, as the team was made up of 70 engineers at the end of 2012” – Sławomir Nalewajka, chairman of Bombardier Transportation (ZWUS) Poland, told to PAP. Apart from the open recruitment process, the company co-operates with the Silesian University of Technology to prepare the skilled workforce.

Creation of the new job positions is connected with the expansion of the company in Central and Eastern European countries. Bombardier products – designed and manufactured in Katowice – have been sold to customers in Poland, Ukraine, Belarus, Slovakia and the Czech Republic. After the planned extension of the team, the services will also be offered to Germany and Benelux countries, among others.

Bombardier Transportation (ZWUS) Poland hires about 500 employees (including the 140 engineers). They design and manufacture a full range of rail control signaling equipment for mainline, mass transit and industrial applications. The branch is a wholly-owned Bombardier company based in Katowice at 12 Modelarska St. The total area of the site covers 36 989 sq. meters.

With almost 90 years of experience in providing the latest signaling technology to the Polish rail network, the organization has a strong reputation and expertise in the Polish market, and has won a string of awards including Ambassador of the Polish Economy and Polish Business Leader. In 2009, the site was the first signaling company in Poland to achieve certification to the new global rail quality management system, IRIS.

Historical milestones*
1926 – formation of Telsyg Company in Katowice manufacturing telecommunication equipment
1932 – LM Ericsson becomes company owner
1945 – nationalization and renamed as ZWUS („Zakłady Wytwórcze Urządzeń Sygnalizacyjnych”)
1961 – merger with plants in Żory and Gotartowice into ZWUS Katowice
1986 – incorporation into PKP to form PKP ZWUS
1991 – PKP and ABB establish joint venture (JV) – ABB ZWUS Signal Sp. z o.o.
1996/1999 – following mergers JV is part of Adtranz and DaimlerChrysler
2001 – following acquisition, JV renamed Bombardier Transportation (ZWUS) Polska Sp. z o.o.
2011 – Bombardier Transportation becomes sole owner

The Katowice site of Bombardier is one of the most important and largest research and development investments located in the City together with the units of Rockwell Automation, Kroll Ontrack and Mentor Graphics.

* milestones source: bombardier.com